On Target, Inc. has a strong interest in supporting the law abiding citizen’s right to keep and bear arms. There are many laws that govern the carrying of firearms and use of deadly force in our state. The Tennessee Handgun Safety/Handgun Permit Course is designed to instruct its participants on these laws, as well as provide training in safety, maintenance, basic fundamentals of marksmanship, and the legal use of deadly force in Tennessee. The Tennessee Handgun Permit is legally recognized in 39 states.
All courses are taught by Tennessee Police Officers Standards and Training Commission (P.O.S.T.) certified instructors that are active supervisory level sworn Law Enforcement Officers within their agencies. Their individual expertise includes work in areas of special tactical operations, major criminal Investigations, and specialized Law Enforcement Officer training/continuing education.
The Tennessee Handgun Safety/Handgun Carry Permit class will cover the following topics:
- Tennessee laws pertaining to handgun carry
- Deadly Force & Use of Force doctrine
- Criminal & Civil liabilities under Tennessee Code Annotated
- Basic handgun & ammunition nomenclature
- Basic firearm safety & maintenance
- Basic fundamentals of marksmanship & firing range safety
- Permit qualification & the permit application process